I am in a time in my life where this was a nice little book to revisit. If you haven't read it yet then you either are not into this type of writing or have been living under a rock. Or the even more reasonable answer would be that you are a mermaid and there are no books or internet in the ocean. If it is the later, than you are excused from reading this book. If you haven't read it, it could be worth a good weekend to read. At the very least, I think it encourages every woman to take a leap of faith on themselves and pursuit their dreams. That at least is what I am taking away from the book.
Here are my thoughts:
Prior to reading it, I am not really sure what my expectations would be. Was this going to be a feminist book bashing men, I thought first and foremost stereotypically… I couldn’t help it. Was it going to be a book that I could apply to my current situation? Would it be too fashion related or could I read it for entertainment purposes? These were a few of the many thoughts running through my head when I purchased it on my Ipad, which was a big mistake, because after reading it I wish I would have purchased a hard cover copy! The book is super cute so it would look great on your coffee table! Delving deeper than looks, here is a critical eye on the book so you can decide if you will add it to your reading list… and if you do buy the hard copy!
- This book is not just for the fashion person. It has a fashion perspective that any fashion lover can relate to but also does a great job at making it relatable to any person trying to build a dream. It is funny, charismatic and has a lot of wisdom without being too preachy.
- I love that this book lets you make the next step. Sophia presents her road to success, her errors and what worked for her, but she never says that this is the only road to success, or the only road that will take you to where you need to go.
- Every chapter has other women discussing how they have become a #GirlBoss and what it means to them. It really is a nice touch to the book.
- It has great quotes and fun little sketches to help it feel more like light reading.
- The sense of humor is fantastic! I love a potty mouth and she doesn’t disappoint.
- It left some things unanswered… I don’t want to spoil anything for those that want to read the book, but it did leave me feeling like will there be a 2nd book? Of Course there is going to be a 2nd book... its already out. duh! lol
- If you are looking for a How to be a #GirlBoss book than this is not the book for you. It is not a manual that tells you how to be your own boss or how to be successful. She really presents her formula for success but tells you to make it your own and that you have to fail to fly. It really has that motto engrained in it.
- The book lacks depth in the sense that there is a lot of reminiscing and learning from the past, but I felt like at times that I wanted more advice and it was a missed opportunity. I did want a little bit of a how to become a #Girlboss without it being a manual if you get what I mean.
With that being said, I still definitely loved the book, Thought it was an enjoyable read and would buy it in a Hard Copy so I can have it on my coffee table for all of the amazing pictures I want to take for Instagram! Have you read Girl Boss? Leave your thoughts in the comments!
Rachel Marie Hurst